Monday, May 24, 2010

In Search of the Perfect Macaroon

Did you ever have something in your mind and try to find it in the world. That has been my dilemma. Now you see I have too much time on my hands. I've been trying to make the macaroon of my childhood, (the one from the bakery that was crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.)

I started with the research, a macaroon not made with condensed sweetened milk, but egg whites. I made one and it was pretty good. Then Maya helped me make two more. Did you know that when you add sugar to egg whites they beat up stiffer, but when you add powdered sugar, they deflate. That was my lesson and two dozen cookies later, I am ready to perfect the recipe. I hope to enter the Hartwicks cookie contest next month. Or is this just an excuse to bake cookies on a rainy day?

1 comment:

Janice La Verne said...

I say enter the contest! I'm smiling at the thought of Maya assisting with the macaroons. You and Maya... the creative gals.

Followers